“Aikea-Guinea was done in a big flash digital studio that we got cheap, with really brilliant equipment. It sounded, well, not as good as it could have done. But that song is so underrated, one of the best we’ve written. It pisses over most things we’ve ever done, it’s brilliant!” Robin Guthrie
“‘Aikea-Guinea’ just means flat shells that have been bleached and smoothed out by the sea and the sand. I’ve just ruined it for you by telling you what it’s all about, haven’t I?” Elizabeth Fraser
- March 1985
- AD/BAD 501
- 14 min, 33 sec
- All titles written and produced by Cocteau Twins.
- Engineered by Ken Thomas.
- Recorded at Jacobs Studios, Farnham.
- Sleeve design by 23 Envelope.
- A single, AD 501, was also released, backed with “Kookaburra.”
- Peaked at #41 on the UK national chart.
- Aikea-Guinea was included with some Canadian pressings of Treasure.
- Re-released in 1991 as part of EPs and Singles Box Set.
- “Aikea-Guinea” appears on the 1985 compilation The Pink Opaque.
- A remastered version of “Aikea-Guinea” appears on the 2000 collection Stars and Topsoil.
- Digitally remastered and re-released in 2005 as part of Lullabies to Violaine.
- “Aikea-Guinea,” “Quisquose,” and “Rococo” have appeared in live performances.
- A promotional video—filmed entirely in Brian Eno’s London flat—was produced for “Aikea-Guinea.”
Listen and buy online
“Aikea-Guinea” official video © 4AD 1985.
- Cocteau Twins featured on Spotify’s ‘Bandsplain’ podcast
- NEWS | 16-Sep 2021
- “Worlds Apart”
- Melody Maker | 16-Nov 1985
- “Garlands of Words”
- RockPool | 07-Oct 1985
- “The Cocteau Twins”
- Smash Hits | 24-Apr 1985
- “Tales of Mystery and Imagination”
- Sounds | 30-Mar 1985