“I don’t really think of us as songwriters. In the traditional sense they’re not songs at all. Songwriters—to me—mean people who sit down with an acoustic guitar and piano, methodically working out the right chords, what words go with these chords, fitting it all in. We don’t work like that. It’s usually: turn the tape recorder on and hopefully, in ten minutes, we have something. Then Liz will come down, listen and sing. It’s not like song-writing. It’s music.” Simon Raymonde
Echoes in a Shallow Bay
- November 1985
- BAD 511
- 16 sec, 12 min
- Great Spangled Fritillary
- Pale Clouded White
- Eggs and Their Shells
- All titles written and produced by Cocteau Twins.
- Recorded at Guerilla, London.
- Mixed at Aosis, London. Engineered by Robin Guthrie with Matt Wallis.
- Sleeve design by 23 Envelope.
- Echoes in a Shallow Bay was re-released in November, 1985 on a combined disc and audio cassette with Tiny Dynamine under 4AD catalog designation CAD 510/511.
- Peaked at #65 on the UK album chart.
- Re-released in 1991 as part of EPs and Singles Box Set.
- A remastered version of “Pale Clouded White” appears on the 2000 collection Stars and Topsoil.
- Digitally remastered and re-released in 2005 as part of Lullabies to Violaine.
- “Pale Clouded White” has appeared in live performances.
Listen and buy online
Television news report from Columbus, OH, 19th September 1985, including live excerpt of “Pale Clouded White.”
- “Reluctant Twins”
- Record Mirror | 21-Dec 1985
- “It’s Music to Bonk To”
- NME/New Musical Express | Dec 1985
- “After the Hush”
- Jamming | Dec 1985
- Review of Echoes In A Shallow Bay
- Melody Maker | 23-Nov 1985
- “Worlds Apart”
- Melody Maker | 16-Nov 1985
- Review of Tiny Dynamine
- NME/New Musical Express | 16-Nov 1985
- “The Cocteau Twins”
- Smash Hits | 24-Apr 1985