“Robin and Liz’s relationship and their music had just blossomed. Head Over Heels showed an extraordinary growth, especially Elizabeth’s singing. The Peel Session recorded shortly after includes my favourite ever Liz vocal, in the version of “Hitherto.” It’s the track I play people if they’ve never heard Cocteau Twins.” Ivo Watts-Russell
Sunburst and Snowblind
- November 1983
- BAD 314
- 14 min, 39 sec
- Sugar Hiccup (12-inch extended version)
- From the Flagstones
- Because of Whirl-Jack
- Written by Cocteau Twins.
- Produced by Cocteau Twins and John Fryer except tracks 1 and 3 produced by Cocteau Twins.
- Recorded and mixed at Palladium Studios, Edinburgh.
- Sleeve design by 23 Envelope.
- Reach #86 on the UK national music charts, and #2 on the independent charts.
- Sunburst and Snowblind was included with Head Over Heels on CADC 313 and CADCD 313.
- Peel Session recordings were made for “Sugar Hiccup,” “From the Flagstones” and “Hitherto,” and are available on BBC Sessions.
- Re-released in 1991 as part of the EPs and Singles Box Set.
- The tracks “From the Flagstones” and “Hitherto” appear on the 1985 compilation The Pink Opaque.
- A remastered version of “Sugar Hiccup” appears on the 2000 collection Stars and Topsoil.
- Digitally remastered and re-released in 2005 as part of Lullabies to Violaine.
- “Sugar Hiccup,” “From the Flagstones,” and “Hitherto” have appeared in live performances.
Listen and buy online
Live televised performance of “From the Flagstones,” 1983.
- “From 4AD to Nine Inch Nails”
- Sound on Sound | Jan 2006
- “The Cocteau Twins”
- Boston Rock | 21-Feb 1984
- “Twice Shy”
- Sounds | 31-Jan 1984
- “Twindrops Keep Falling on my Head”
- NME/New Musical Express | 10-Dec 1983
- Review of Sunburst and Snowblind
- Melody Maker | 03-Dec 1983
- Review of Head Over Heels
- NME/New Musical Express | 05-Nov 1983
- “And Then There Were Two”
- Sounds | 05-Nov 1983
- “Two’s Company”
- ZigZag | Oct 1983
- “Cocteau Twins are hard to pin down”
- The Morning Call 1983