“We said ‘No’ to a lot of things, and people don’t like the word ‘No.’ We should have done TOTP [Top of the Pops] when ‘Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops’ was a hit. We were offered it but we said no. It was too scary. We didn’t talk about the fear, but the bravado side of it was, ‘This is bollocks—people dancing with balloons.’ We just weren’t comfortable in that world.” Simon Raymonde
The Spangle Maker
- April 1984
- AD/BAD 405
- 18 min, 3 sec
- The Spangle Maker
- Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops (12-inch version)
- Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops (7-inch version)
- All titles written and produced by Cocteau Twins.
- Recorded January through March, 1984.
- “The Spangle Maker” and “Pepper-Tree” were recorded at the Palladium Studios in Edinburgh, engineered by Jon Turner and mixed at Rooster in West London, engineered by John Madden. “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” was recorded and engineered by John Madden at Rooster.
- Sleeve design by 23 Envelope. Photograph “The Crystal Gazer (or The Magic Crystal),” by Gertrude Käsebier (1852-1934).
- This was the first Cocteau Twins recording to feature Simon Raymonde.
- AD 405 (7-inch) featured only “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” (7”) and “Pepper-Tree,” and featured the same sleeve artwork.
- A promotional video was produced for “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops.”
- “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” reached #29 on the UK national chart, and #1 on the independent chart.
- The song “Millimillenary” was also recorded around this time, but was not released until 1985, on the compilation The Pink Opaque.
- The song “The Spangle Maker” was included in the 1992 4AD compilation Lilliput.
- A Peel Session was recorded for “Pepper-Tree,” and is available on BBC Sessions.
- Re-released in 1991 as part of the EPs and Singles Box Set.
- All three tracks appear on the 1985 compilation The Pink Opaque.
- A remastered version of “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” appears on the 2000 collection Stars and Topsoil.
- Digitally remastered and re-released in 2005 as part of Lullabies to Violaine.
- All three tracks have appeared in live performances.
- “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” was referenced in the dialogue and featured in the soundtrack for the film “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” (2012).
Listen and buy online
- Cocteau Twins featured on Spotify’s ‘Bandsplain’ podcast
- NEWS | 16-Sep 2021
- “Six Definitive Songs: The ultimate beginner’s guide to Cocteau Twins”
- Far Out | Jul 2021
- “Sex and Drugs and Rock ‘N’ Roll”
- ZigZag | Aug 1984
- “Head Over Heels with the Cocteau Twins”
- Electronics & Music Maker | Aug 1984
- “Mother of Pearl”
- Melody Maker | 26-May 1984
- “Twinset and Pearls”
- Smash Hits | 10-May 1984
- “Cocteau Twins”
- Blitz | May 1984
- Melody Maker | 28-Apr 1984
- Review of ‘Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops’
- NME/New Musical Express | 21-Apr 1984
- International Musician & Recording World | Mar 1984