“I thought it was a really good idea because I thought, well, what are people gonna see in these names? They’re gonna realise it’s got nothing to do with mythology and all that bollocks. Well, it’s not bollocks, but I foolishly thought people wouldn’t think that we were into that sort of thing.” Elizabeth Fraser
“Treasure sounds to me like a really dated record, because of the early digital stuff and the technology we used on that record. It’s got good things on it, but it’s certainly not got that timeless quality.” Robin Guthrie
- October 1984
- CAD 412
- 41 min, 34 sec
- Pandora (for Cindy)
- All titles written and produced by Cocteau Twins.
- Recorded during August and September, 1984 at Palladium Studios, Edinburgh and Rooster, West London.
- Engineered by Jon Turner and Droston J. Madden.
- Thanks to Yvonne and Pierrot for sleeve props.
- Art direction, design and photography by 23 Envelope.
- Treasure peaked at #29 on the UK album chart.
- Alternate Peel Session recordings were done for “Ivo,” “Beatrix,” and “Otterley.” The then-working title for “Beatrix” was “Whisht.”
- The Aikea-Guinea EP was included with the Canadian version of Treasure.
- “Lorelei,” “Pandora” and “Aloysius” have appeared in live performances, including a live remix of “Aloysius,” by Mark Clifford, during the 1996 Milk & Kisses tour.
- “Lorelei” was performed live on the UK television programme “The Old Grey Whistle Test” in 1985.
- “Lorelei” was featured on the 1985 compilation The Pink Opaque.
- “Lorelei” and “Pandora” are featured on the 2000 compilation Stars and Topsoil.
- Treasure was digitally remastered and re-released by 4AD in 2003.
- “Lorelei” was included in the 2005 4AD compilation 1980 Forward.
- In 2012, Elizabeth Fraser gave two solo performances in the Bath and London, England, during which she performed a new arrangement of “Donimo.”
- The song “Pandora“‘s dedication, for Cindy, is a reference to friend Gordon Sharp, of the band Cindytalk.
- Included in Pitchfork.com’s “Top 100 Albums of the 80s.”
Listen and buy online
- Untitled. International Musician Monthly. 1984.
- “Polar Bears, Kittens, and Puppy Dogs’ Tails”. Danny Kelly. NME/New Musical Express. 8-Dec 1984.
- Review of Treasure. Steve Sutherland. Melody Maker. 10-Nov 1984.
- “Digging for Treasures”. Richard Walmsley. Electronic Soundmaker & Computer Music. Feb 1985.
- “Ether Madness”. David Stubbs. Uncut. Apr 2003.
- Review of Treasure. Chris Jones. BBC Music. 2008.
- Reviews of Treasure and Blue Bell Knoll. The New Perfect Collection. 21-Feb 2015.
- “The 200 Best Songs of the 1980s”. Pitchfork. 24-Aug 2015.
- “Cocteau Twins: Treasure”. Sputnik Music. 16-Apr 2016.
- “Cocteau Twins Announce Treasure and Head Over Heels Reissues”. Jazz Monroe. Pitchfork. 17-Jan 2018.
- “The Strange World of… Cocteau Twins”. Lottie Brazier. The Quietus. 5-Mar 2018.
- “The 200 Best Albums of the 1980s”. Pitchfork. 10-Sep 2018.
- Review of Treasure Hiding: The Fontana Years. Jesse Dorris. Pitchfork. 18-Oct 2018.